Thread: Relapse Lesson
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KateL
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I tend to look at drinking for what it is...drinking. Whether you call it a blip, slip, oops, relapse, setback, etc....they all mean that we willingly and knowingly drank alcohol. And when our goal is sobriety, drinking is a failure of that goal.

Sure, stopping after a few drinks is different than getting completely drunk and smashing up your car, but in essence it all starts the same way with one drink.

Turning your drinking into something positive is good - and learning from it is good as well. I just get really uneasy somtimes when people downplay drinking episodes as "just part of the process" or somehow inevitable, because it's not. Glad you learned something.
No one is saying it is inevitable but it does happen and lifting ones spirit and encouraging one not to beat themselves was always helpful to me. I tried and tried until it clicked. Being told off and given the impression I had failed, ergo 'this is NOT acceptable in recovery you have failed miserably never helped me one iota. I needed the inspiration to never give up. xxx