Thread: Relapse Lesson
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RunnerBean

Relapse Lesson

Hey all,

I haven't posted here in a while as I've barely given alcohol a second thought. I've kept very busy recently, and my motivational levels have risen significantly. Up until last night I had remained sober since 1st January 2014 (the longest period of sobriety I have managed in 10 years). However, last night, I drank 5 drinks at a pub for a friend's birthday. This led to an awful hangover and absence from work today.

Although I'm very disappointed with myself, this experience has reinforced the desire to remain sober; and even when I was drinking last night, I wasn't enjoying it like I used to. My thoughts were scattered when I got into bed; ranging from thinking how I could obtain more alcohol, to going for a run to sweat the alcohol out, to wishing there was someone beside me. It seems that alcohol preys on every vulnerability and insecurity we have, until we feed these fears with more alcohol to drown them out.

I'm viewing last night as a blip, rather than a disaster, however, even the smallest blips can sometimes change lives and I appreciate that fact, so I'd rather turn those blips into small positive changes everyday.

Thanks for reading.