View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Katchie

Originally Posted by TonightTonight View Post
Hello all. I'm curious - is it common or part of the disease for alcoholics to insist on controlling the finances? In my situation, though I have tried, my AH will not add me to his bank account. I do not see statements (though the credit card statements come to our house) and he puts in a certain amount of $ into our "joint" account come payday.

A friend of mine has the same arrangement with her husband, though in her case she is the one who earns the money and has control over the finances, and he has no access. When I asked her about it she became flustered, said she just didn't like the idea (of him having access). She admitted it was a control thing. She has also mentioned possibly quitting drinking, which made me wonder if this was a facet of alcoholism - the want to control. Or, is it another facet of abuse?

Thanks for your feedback.
the only advice I have based on what you have written is from my own experience. I don't think it's ever a good idea not to know what your finances are or where your money is going when you're living with an active alcoholic.
It's a recipe for disaster.