View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
DaveyT

Hey guys, sorry I haven't replied quickly but I've been working up the energy. I am grateful for your continuing responses, they really help keep me going. I mean my family are great but they don't know about my nasty little alcohol demon so it's great to share it with people who understand.

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Wow! That sounds harrowing. At least it will be nice if you're able to drain the cysts yourself. If there any chance that what you have can be cured/treated? Sounds sucky but you seem to be dealing with it as well as one can. You might have to keep the options open for pain meds but I agree- that would be my last resort, too.
Unfortunately my condition does not have any current cure, and as it's uncommon there isn't a lot of money going into researching it. I understand really, better to spend money on the stuff that affects millions like cancer and MS rather than obscure illnesses like mine. Pain meds are my absolute last choice, I take them but I try and minimise them as much as possible. By all rights I could get a ton of heavier stuff after this complication but I would rather drain the cysts myself than just take a ton of pain meds and go to the hospital once every month for them to drain stuff.

RobbyRobot

I'm not that tough, the reality is after years of pain you develop a resistance, you have to. I finally gave in and started drinking but yeah, I can take more pain than most people simply because I've had so much. It's nothing special.

Having a syringe in a joint is way more painful than havign one into a muscle, I've had both so I know. If I had to stick it in a joint every month I would think very differently about doing it myself. Actually there will be restrictions on what I can do because obviously I can't insert it deep into a joint, I can't deal with cysts that might form in deep tissue and that kind of thing. I'm limited to extremities and even then I have to avoid certain areas such as the inner leg incase I hit my femoral artery. I know a lot about anatomy so I get why they're doing that. Some stuff I'll stil have to visit hospital for.

Pain as you say can grind anyone down, man or woman, severe pain over time does terrible things to a person. I hate to be so melodramatic but it's essentially torture. We may not have the acute cut through the skin, but constant and continual pain is the same.

I'll keep everyone updated. I'm looking forward to getting my training in how to drain things myself. Of course the cysts are just an extra thing, my general pain won't reduce, but at least I can hopefully stop the acute pains like when I put my arm on a chair or lie down at night.

I swear the other week I couldn't lie on any side because all sorts of muscles had small marble sized cysts in them.