View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
987g

Is it wrong to feel hopeful?

I posted on this site a few weeks ago about one of my closest friends who is a recovering alcoholic. We got into an argument...or at least it turned into one. It seemed like no matter what I said or how understanding of his feelings I tried to be EVERYTHING got turned around to make it look like I was the only one in the wrong. After posting on this board and reading a lot, I realize that's just manipulation and I'm not completely crazy. I also think that my friend is going through a "dry drunk" phase; this time of year is real rough on him and I think he's reverting back to that selfish and self centered, completely irrational, grandiose thinking and alcoholic behavior because he doesn't know how to cope.

I took other people's advice and detached. I haven't had anything to do with him and I've been trying to do the things that I know are good for me and to work on myself because I'm not a perfect person either and I'm sure I have a list of flaws a mile long.

I've been feeling really hopeful though! I feel confident in myself and who I am as friend. I know I am a good friend to him and I have nothing to feel bad about. And he knows that. He knows that I am good to him, hell he has said those words!

He's a alcoholic and even in recovery, life with him will always be rough. But I feel like he knows who the good people in his life. I've watched him go through knock down drag out fights with people before but in the end he always makes his way back to the people that really care. This is just the first time I've been his sparring partner and felt his wrath.

BUT. Is being hopeful and optimistic stupid of me or make me naive? If it is, tell me.