View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Florence

I drink some occasional wine -- in the early days, my gourmand STBXAH and I tried out and learned a lot about wine together -- but I don't like hanging out with heavy drinkers or being in rowdy bars. I've found myself in a couple of social situations where someone drank waaaay too much and I found myself disgusted and triggered.

Nothing sucks the joy out of recreational drinking like having lived with an alcoholic. I just don't have it in me to binge drink or party anymore. It portends bad things for me. I think about all the pain he and I both went through and the pain this disease caused our families. I went to a work thing not too long ago where I was talking to a couple of guys who easily, both of them, drank 10 or more craft beers in the two hours I talked to them. I said nothing, but sat there thinking, "Oh. Okay."

Just, "Oh."

When we lived together, I really didn't mind giving it up at home especially if it helped STBXAH stay clean. But now that we don't live together, in hindsight it feels like no matter what I did or didn't do, it didn't make a difference.