View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GPB

How to intervene before it gets bad

I need help. I think my wife is an alcoholic, or is becoming an alcoholic, or whatever. The last few months, I've noticed that she's been drinking more. It got to the point where she'd be drunk pretty much every day when I came home from work. She's not a mean drunk or anything. She doesn't work and we don't have kids (yet), so it really doesn't interfere with her life at this point.

I figured we were just getting into a bad habit (but not an addiction, if you know what I mean) and said, "Okay, no more booze in the house for a while." She said, "You can still get beer sometimes because I don't drink beer." So every few weeks I'd bring home a six pack, and then I realized she was drinking the beer. In short order it got to where if I'd bring home a six pack it'd be gone the next day.

So we had a talk, she said it was pathetic and she wouldn't do it anymore, and I said "No booze, no beer, no nothing." Well, today I came home and she was drunk. I confronted her about it and she lied to my face even though we both knew she was drunk. Here's the thing: My wife doesn't drive and we live in the suburbs quite a ways from the nearest store. She finally admitted she called a cab to take her to the liquor store and drank half a bottle of Scotch before I got home. I found it hidden in the paper bag at the back of a cabinet.

We had another talk, but she was drunk and I know it doesn't mean anything. I just want to help her. She either denies everything, or laughs it off, and like I said, it's not like it interferes with her life at this point. She has the luxury of being drunk every day if she wants to be.

But she can't stop. I'm no expert, but that's what it comes down to for me: She can't stop. She needs it. That's a problem.

So what can I do to help head this off before it ruins our lives? We can work on our marriage, maybe there's a specific reason she's drinking. She's probably bored, maybe I can help her find something productive to do. I'll do anything -- but what can I do to keep her off the sauce in the meantime?