Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mellybug

Working it in other areas of my life, too...

A good side-effect of all of this A drama and stress is that I've decided to apply what I'm learning to other aspects of my life as well.

For example: my coworker and I have worked as a "team" for nearly 3 years. She has left me "high-and-dry" too many times to count, including going on maternity leave early due to "medical complications" (conveniently 2 days after her temporary replacement shows up - both times. One time, sure. Twice? Naw. Then admitting to people that she talked her doctor into signing for it). She's a very selfish person and always does the bare minimum, NEVER works a full 8-hour day, and pretty much has been driving me INSANE with her lack of work ethic for nearly 3 years.

That's THREE YEARS of my life spent being upset about someone else's behavior. I've been putting in INSANE amounts of time and energy just trying to keep this department going. I have been under the impression my entire life that hard work is rewarded, and someone will take notice of all that I've been doing above and beyond the call of duty. I'll get that promotion I was promised at 18 months. I'll get that raise. My 6 month reviews have all been stellar...yet that promotion never happens. The raises have been minimal, at best. My partner's reviews have all been average...and yet she's gotten the exact same raises and no promotion, either.

Today I decided to let it go. Why work myself into the ground for no appreciation or recognition? In fact, I even have RESENTMENT for trying to be "better than everyone else" when in fact I'm just trying to work as hard as I can to succeed!

I've decided to just take it easy. My work can still get done without me stressing about it. Just like in my relationship with my ABF - why work so hard for no reward? Even Pavlov's dogs stopped salivating at the sound of the bell after a while of not receiving food at the same time....

...and it didn't take them 3 years, I'll bet....