View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
honeypig

Originally Posted by littlekings View Post
Surprisingly as I get older this all seems to bother me more and more. When I was 25 I would have said my father's drinking doesn't/didn't bother me at all. Now I wonder if it is the cause of most of the trouble between my ears.
Boy oh boy, littlekings, I hear you on this part! My childhood was spent in a very dysfunctional home w/physical, emotional and sexual abuse. Yet up until my early 40s, I would have told you I hadn't really been touched by it. Nope, I was just fine, I would have told you, as I looked back over years of my own dysfunctional codependent adult life! You and I are fortunate enough to have gotten a wake-up call sometime before we died; we have the chance to get healthy yet in this life.

I'd second the advice to check into Alanon. Alanon is for "families and friends" of alcoholics, and as the child of an A, you surely fit the bill. In my area, there are FAR more Alanon meetings than ACA meetings, and hopefully this will be the case for you also so that you can get to some meetings. SR has been priceless to me over this past year, and I wouldn't be where I am today w/o this resource, but it's a good thing to have some real-world support too, and that's where Alanon shines.

Hope you can find the help you need--wishing you strength and clarity.