Thread: Becoming
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MidnightBlue
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Octsobermate)

I can relate a lot to what you've written. Not drinking is not a full-time (not even part-time) job any more, though I think I am still working on my sobriety in a broader meaning. Becoming who I really am is a part of sobriety journey for me, because when I am running from who I am, or hiding from it, or escaping on working towards this goal, I start abusing myself.

I am still working on binge eating. I also take is as a part of sobriety - for me these addictions have common roots.

I like your list of goals - I believe it embraces all the major areas of the life - professional and spiritual development, relationships.

I learned both Latin and French in the University (I have a degree in linguistics). I remember to pass my exam in Latin they made me to learn by heart somewhat about 200 Latin proverbs)) . But both languages have been out of use for long time as well. I would like to revive them though.

As for things I would like to bring into reality out of realm of dreams and ever-procrastinating goals, they are something like that.

1. To take part in some fitness competition. I work out a lot. My fitness week usually comprises 3-4 days of weightlifting, 3-4 boxing classes, 1 cycling class, swimming and cardio. But I feel like I am starting to lack motivation. I think competing even on some low-profile local level would boost my motivation here.

2. Publish my e-book.

3. Set up my own e-business. I even have a plan for this. And during the previous year I took a couple of courses about it, and a friend of mine would like to partner up with me on this. But what prevents me from making the final step from planning and preparing to really taking actions is my old stinking thinking "You will fail. It's not for you. Etc. Etc.". I think I have walk through fear again.

4. Make a financial plan to reduce my debt and stick to it.

5. To make meditation an integral part of my daily routine. It really helps, and once I start doing I love it.

6. To make finishing works and move to my new apartment. Just at the end of 2013 I wrapped up the most difficult issue - splitting real estate property with my brother, and with my share I bought a new apartment for myself. It's in a newly built building, and it will be without any finishing. So, it will be another challenge for myself. But with a challenge comes an opportunity - it will be a brand new apartment, designed absolutely up to my taste and needs.

7. Well, relationships. I ended mine a few years ago. And since then I had no wish to engage into new ones. I actually at a loss here. I still don't feel like doing this. I am fine being on my own - I finally have time and space to discover who I am, rather then adjusting myself to be what other people expect me to be. I think I am afraid that once I am again engaged in relationships , my old habits would kick in and I would shut and bury my newly rediscovered authentic self and start people pleasing again.

So, this question pops up regularly in my head. Or, often other people "pop it up"' kindly reminding me that at 36 it's high time for me to get married and have kids. I know, I know.. But for some reason the mere thought about this makes me sick at the moment.

I have some more ideas on my mind, but I think, that will do for today.

Thank your for bringing up this topic, Myth.

And I always enjoy reading your posts.

My best wishes to all.

And best luck with your goals and endeavors!