View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SilentLove

Originally Posted by cleaninLI View Post
Silentlove, I have to agree with what zozo, chino, and needingabreak said. It is possible to turn your power over to your Higher Power and let him help you through your recovery. I've done this myself. I believe it was my Higher Power that led me towards my recovery and has given me strength to get through this so far. I also believe in free will and that the person has to make the choices as well as do the work. I also agree that everyone smiles in pics and I doubt you could judge a person's recovery through their Facebook page. I just wanted to add that since you were engaged you probably got to know him pretty well. You would most likely know if he was the type of person who could and would be able to give his power up to God. I guess people can change but most who knew me from the past knows that I'm a person who believes in God and has a lot of faith in Him. I think you already know (so won't elaborate) what you should do to keep yourself happy, healthy and moving forward.

CleaninLI,

The reason why I ask if it's possible is because he grew up in a Christian family where everything was Christian based. He was very involved in church before we even met so that's why it makes me wonder how he could fall off the wagon. I mean, I knew there were other factors involved such as his cousins enabling him to drink (oh yeah, he's also an alcoholic). I personally don't think he can give up his power to The Lord because he always wants to be in control. Although he grew up in a Christian home, his values and actions conflict each other. Sometimes he still questions whether The Lord even exists. In regards to the smiling in pictures, he's told me before that no matter how miserable his life is, he's never going to show that. I feel like it's all a facade.

How many days are you sober? I'm glad to hear that The Lord has guided you in your recovery!