Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
PippiLngstockng

First, thank you as ever for your prayers and perspective.

DS16 and I have talked a lot about alcoholism since the lightbulb went off 18 months ago and I finally understood what I was dealing with with xah and his family.

DS16 has a philosophical bent. We kind of enjoy hanging out and analzing his Dad and everything else.

But I have never seen him drunk before.

We talked lots and lots yesterday, and I took your advice. No going out on weekend nights for six weeks and he has to come home straight after school until I figure out more what he has been up to.

What I really really don't like is the lying.

That night he told me: 'i only had two beers'.

And,' I think I had a stomach bug'.

Ach. Don't lie to me!!! I talked subsequently lots about how alcoholism is about lying - to yourself as well as others. And I told him to not minimize or attempt to forget what happened.

He was really horrified by others seeing him in that state, and by how he vomited on the subway. Good.

More talking warranted today.

I love him so so much. He is so bright and charming and handsome and sweet. I have to be careful not to overlook his bad behaviors, though.

I always worried my boy was going to be prone to substance abuse. He, like both his parents, likes strong experiences. He needs sports every day.

And yes, our part of Europe certainly has a strong drinking culture. But DS16's friends are lovely kids. I did thank them many times for helping my boy. They were so scared. May they all be wiser now.