Thread: Your Big Plan
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
fini

My point was I think of the thought as a misguided protective mechanism in my brain vs something bad. Again, its a mirage and an illusion so in that sense it is bad to try and drink from a stream that does not exist. But the booze, drugs, sex, buying, work, diet, working out, hobbies that turn to obsessions are all a coping mechanism to find balance in my life that is out of balance.

JD,
a coping mechanism.

yes. in my gazillion tries to quit, i saw drinking as the problem. i then, many times, made a plan not to ever again. yes, i read the RRbook. yes, it made tons of sense at the time. yes, i made a BP, several times. which is supposed to be impossible

and drank again.

what i quoted from you above comes close to how i see it now: drinking was the solution, really, to whatever else. when that hit me, it had to revolutionize my view, as i then was "stuck" in the "oh, so, then./..i now need other solutions". since my issue wasn't getting rid of a problem but dumping a useless solution.

AVRT is not a program, it's a technique. it serves its purpose well.
but its purpose is not related to a new "solution" or "coping mechanism to find balance" as you put it.
and THAT is where i see a fork in the road: the steps offer a solution, things like meditation and therapy offer solutions, churches offer solutions....if there's need for a new/different solution, there are many ways people can go.