Thread: wow.
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
readerbaby71

wow.

My BF cut his hand very, very badly last year. At the time we weren't living together and he didn't show it to me until the following afternoon, when I took him to the ER. He said that he was doing dishes and that a plate broke and he cut his hand on it. It was a deep gash between the webbing of two fingers about halfway down his palm. Ugly. When he showed it to me it was open like a V and I could see the layers of fat and muscle underneath his skin. They were able to stitch it but it took months to heal.

Today I read something he wrote on a worksheet while in rehab, stuff about things he didn't remember when blacked out. One of them said, "I woke up with blood all over the walls and my hand cut very badly".

I remember asking him over and over again why he didn't call me when it happened. Why he waited until the following afternoon to show it to me. Now I know. I had no idea. I don't even remember having a fleeting thought that he might have been drinking when this happened, but it was before I knew the extent of his problem.

I don't really know why I'm posting this. Just getting it out. I know I shouldn't have read it, but it was sitting out on the kitchen table and it caught my eye. I know it was wrong but I read it.

I don't want to talk to him about it. Maybe he'll share the truth with me someday. It doesn't really matter at this point. I am glad he got help and is getting better, but it's a good reminder to be aware of the fact that he has never been completely honest with me, especially when drinking. I shouldn't get too comfortable too fast. Although we're both doing well this road is a long one.