View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
zerothehero
waking down

It's starting to sink in that now that I've been sober for a few weeks - the real work begins. I've been reading a variety of blogs and books regarding addiction, and it has really sunk in that alcohol is not my only demon. I'm committed to addressing all addiction, and the books I've found on mindfulness seem a natural route for me. For the first time in years I'm feeling a true sense of personal accomplishment and pride, and things are even looking better at work. An idea I've been campaigning for is gaining support and appears to be taking shape. And my injuries feel better, possibly due in part to reduced inflammation that was likely exacerbated by alcohol, and maybe even the aches and pains associated with depression. Arthritis was kicking in, but maybe I can slow it's progress or even reverse it. My sense of willpower around food and other bad habits seems stronger, and there's a clarity I'm bringing to relationships at work that have been noticed. I sense a cloud of cynicism, fatalism, and nihilism lifting, and I have more hope not only for my future, but for others. I cried, and I mean really cried, for the first time in months the other day, and I liked it. I'm reconnecting with my heart, and with powers unknown - with the oneness that makes, for example, reading positive messages on SR bring me personal joy. My hand is not just my own - it is yours, and my body is not just my own - it is part and one with the space and objects and energy around me. Meditation can be a powerful and at times frightening thing, but right now I'm feeling fearless. The first dog I ever loved is getting to the point where she can hardly navigate stairs, and though I am sad about her suffering and eventual passing, I feel ready to experience that loss and grief. I was about to say, "How old did I have to get before I could embrace existence so?" But the question, I believe, is more accurately, "How sober did I have to get before I could embrace existence so?" Thanks again, class. You all help me everyday.