Old 01-02-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
JustAGirl1971

Originally Posted by Upsetnneedhelp View Post
lillamy, I sometimes think of returning to my home country. America has the one of the highest rates of prisoners in the entire world. The American prison system is meant to provide jobs and generate revenue. My son lives in harsh conditions and no one ever tried to help him with addiction. The scary part is that I know my son will be free one day and could live in a community near you.
Upset, as respectfully as possible, may I suggest to you that prisons are harsh for a reason? It's the same as enabling our A's in our homes. The more we give them, take care of them, provide them with a soft place to land, the less likely they are to need to seek help. It's only when they are exposed to the reality of their addictions that they seek help. If prisons were resort-like, there would be less incentive to avoid them.

I will agree that access to decent medical treatment including for mental health and addictions could use some improvement. And, I'm not a fan of solitary confinement (and definitely not long-term.)