Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
JustAGirl1971

Originally Posted by FireSprite;4383360
I realized though, that no cancer patient deals with an inner voice urging them to buy more cancer, convincing them that cancer will make their life better. There is no dichotomy inside a cancer patient's mind rationalizing to them that they NEED it. [I
It also took me a while to understand that this Voice doesn't always exist from the first-ever drink taken, that it grows in strength internally behind the scenes just feeding off the addict's intake & growing.... only speaking up when it is threatened, making it very difficult to differentiate from their "regular" inner voice. [/I]

If that person never picks up their first drink, this part of themselves may never become activated. But if they start drinking socially then increase their volume along with their stress it seems to become a chicken & egg thing - it no longer matters which came first or why.
Firesprite, I can relate to this. My father is an alcoholic. I started drinking my senior year in high school. At the beginning of my senior year, it was binge drinking once or twice a month. By the time I graduated, it was binge drinking more days than not. Going away to college actually decreased my drinking because initially, I had less access to alcohol. I recognize my own tendency towards addiction. I have no problem abstaining... it's when I choose to drink that I have trouble stopping. That's why I drink very, very rarely. My sister rarely drinks for the exact same reason. I have no doubt some of us are wired with a tendency towards addiction.