View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Broom

Lifestyle Changes

I'm officially nine days sober today. However, sobriety has not challenged me yet. My entire adult life has revolved around alcohol. Playing softball - drinking, watching sports - drinking, all my friends - drinking, happy hours - drinking.......I have no idea what I'm going to do or how I'm going to do this. Do I do a 180 in life and completely change who I am? I have scheduled my first ever counseling session next week. Up until this point in my life I've never believed in counseling. Allowing someone to get into my head and "help me" has always sounded ridiculous to me. However, my life has completely been decimated in 2013....separation, driving problems,......I've had my visitation with my children this weekend which is easy as I never drink around them. (I used to before I left my wife). However, since I have to be more responsible now I do not drink around them. I get them Friday after work and take them back Sunday evening and on the drive home after having them I always had that "excitement" that I was going to go home and get hammered alone, in my apartment, pass out...then get up and get my week started Monday. After my latest negative situation with alcohol and my first ever attempt to get sober I'm just not sure how to change my life in a positive way. Once I get my driving privileges back I really hope I can talk myself into AA meetings because I know I cannot do this alone. I also am curious as to what/how a counselor is going to help me. I go to my family doctor tomorrow and I plan to be honest with her for the first time since I started going years ago and telling her I'm an alcoholic suffering from major depression. I'm curious to hear how some of the members of this site have changed their life.....I would literally need to stop hanging out with every friend I have as I have no "sober" friends. I'm getting tested in my life right now and I'm not sure I'm ready for this but I HAVE TO FOR MY CHILDREN. :-(