View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EverySngleNight

When I was trying to decide where to go- I googled like crazy to find reviews and pictures etc. I also wasn't sure if I wanted an AA vs non-AA program.

If you are a religious family and that's how your daughter was raised, an AA based program may be a good fit. (*Disclaimer- NOT implying that AA is a religious based program or wouldn't work if she's not "religious" folks- read on!)

If like me at 22- she's never stepped foot inside a church and doesn't believe in "God"- some of the language in AA may be a turn off, and she might more readily absorb a program that's not spiritually based. At 22, I would've written it off completely. I didn't have the skills/patience/self-awareness to "take what I like and leave the rest". BUT, that's just me.

At the end of the day, whatever the program is- it needs to resonate with her so she is able to absorb it and apply it to her life- otherwise it'll just be a matter of "toughing it out" for her parents, until she can get out and potentially use again. No point in that IMO.
Hope this related to your question and was helpful in some way. TY