Thread: AVRT and AA
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

I think it had more to do with questioning some core fundamentals and inevitably allowed a seed that I may one day be cured and could drink again - both programs discourage this thinking but its what happened to me.
JD, I believe we are cured when it becomes true that we never drink again. Unconditionally. No matter what, when, where, why, who or whow. If there is a cure for alcoholism, that is what it must look like. Never to be dependent on alcohol again.

Some programs might consider a cure for alcoholism to be an ability to drink in moderation, and in that sense, there is no cure that I am aware of. AVRT on the other hand flat out sees this as AV, by definition. That this sort of 'cure' might exist is nothing other than the thought of drinking again. The voice of The Beast. It's all over the place if you become able to recognize it.

As for changing programs, there are lots of folks that quit drinking along with ending their recovery group involvement when they saw how being sober freed them. They came to see their drinking ultimately as a choice between two outcomes, a choice they were prepared to make. And a choice they were able to make. To thine self be true.

However you end up, whatever path you choose, JD, I believe you are going to be alright. You can start believing this too, I should think. Onward!