View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
OnlyOneProblem

When I decided to commit to Al-Anon at the beginning of this year I picked a meeting that I felt would fit into my schedule. I guess I was lucky. I enjoyed the meeting and I found it interesting that the flavor was different every week. I had an absence of 4 or 5 months from my regular meetings in the spring/summer due to a hospitalization and being out of town for a couple of months. What I found upon my return was that a few of the regulars were there, but many of the faces were people I had not seen before. It made me aware that just as the events and concerns in my life change on a daily basis, the same is true for all who attend meetings.

Having grown more comfortable attending meetings, I decided to try another meeting at a different location and time. Great meeting, wonderful people! Time to try yet another meeting. Loved this meeting also. I felt like most of the folks at this meeting were there because of their children and I walked away with much comfort. Same meeting, a couple weeks later was not so much about the children. Still a great meeting.

I sat next to a woman at one meeting and she spoke about the blessings of being able to choose meetings to attend based on when "she needed one". Her comment really got me to thinking. The structure of attending a weekly meeting was great when I first started to attend meetings. Kinda like going to the gym - good to establish a routine. I've moved past the painful stage and am reaping the benefits from my steady practice no matter what day of the week it is.

Justagirl - Remember to take what you need and leave the rest. I don't think it is necessary that you "click with the group" as the group will be continuously changing just as you will grow and change also.