View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by terp82 View Post
Having experienced a child's addiction (4 years) and new to recovery (one year off drugs, although is drinking), I have a couple of questions.
1. My daughter is 25 yrs old single mom of a 3 year old, owns a home, works full time. Right now cannot afford insurance. Will I be enabling her by paying for insurance/daycare? She is on a good path and want to help her in that. She needs health care and maybe mental health counseling but cannot afford without insurance.

2. I am really scared for her because with Christmas coming, she seems to be "losing" it. Considering letting the drug addicted father of her child to come visit because it is Christmas. Is she relapsing?
I don't think helping with insurance or daycare is enabling. Its wonderful your daughter has a year off drugs and it sounds like she is doing well. I agree counseling might be beneficial to her recovery, and also to deal with issues like her ex which can be complicated. I think it just comes down to your personal parenting style and the resources you have available to assist her.

My husband is my qualifier here; he has just over 1.5 years clean. We have a two year old son together. If he were to go back to using drugs, it would depend on his behavior of course... but I would not try to keep him from seeing his son. I would however want to put certain restrictions in place to ensure my sons safety and to maintain the sense of stability/security that he now feels. Maybe your daughter is setting up some ground rules for his visit?