View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
PippiLngstockng

'In the case of the equally or at times even more insane addict thinking that is in fact delusional thinking maybe and commonly is misattributed to potentially remediable voluntary choices and moral decisions, resulting in still more confusion and muddying of the already turbulent waters around the addict and his addiction.'

Okay, so we look at it as though the A is relatively in their right minds and thus are making choices rather like everyone else. But while they may seem not so entirely crazy, they in fact are not altogether in their right minds.

I worked with schizophrenics for a time and you never confront their delusions directly. They can seem pretty normal in some ways, so long as you steer clear of the topics that they have altered viewpoints about. I never wanted to set anyone there off or make them defensive. It was easier with those older folks who kind of accepted that their thinking was unusual. The younger folks were much more volatile.

Maybe confronting an addict's issues isn't so much helpful as harmful? They can't accept reality because they have too many mental defenses built around it. So detach and leave and pray they will somehow stumble upon enlightenment?

I feel sad for everyone involved. If alcoholism is akin to psychosis, then no wonder things feel pretty hopeless with regards the A. We certainly do need God's help.