View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Ruby2

Hi PositiveChang,

I am so sorry this happened and my thoughts are with you. You are doing all the right things in documenting, documenting, documenting. Get copies of your medical records/bills for your treatment if you can.

What I can contribute is practical and spoken from a prosecutors perspective (ironic and embarrassing at the same time. I don't do DV though). One, any jail/prison time or sentencing depends on your specific state's statutes. States vary in their sentencing guidelines and any sentence depends on severity, victim's input, the offenders criminal history, mitigating factors, etc. etc.

Two, any documentation that you have, try to make copies of it all. One to keep for yourself and one for the prosecutors. Sometimes things get lost in the shuffle in court files. At least you would have a copy if things get misplaced.

Three, it is critical that you are in court on time and preferably early. You want to ensure that you are in the correct courtroom and on time when the case is called. I have had to dismiss cases because the witnesses walked in five minutes late or because they were sitting in the wrong courtroom when the case was called. Some were going through the metal detector to get into the courthouse when the case is called. Some were taking public transportation and were delayed (the bus had an accident, snowstorm, etc). If you think of something that could possibly delay you, plan accordingly.

Try to get child care for your court dates. Make sure the prosecutors have your correct contact information in their file. They will need to get a hold of you for hearings, etc. Same goes for the contact information for your neighbors.

Above all, take a deep breath. See if someone from the domestic violence group can come as support. I know that many groups have victim advocates who will attend court as support. Especially if you are nervous, afraid, don't know what to do. Ask them if they can do this with you. You do not need to be alone. Some courthouses are poorly constructed for DV cases and you may run into your AH in the hall way if he bonds out. In one of our old courthouses victims and offenders had to ride up in the same elevator. Bad idea. Ignore him completely.

Again, my thoughts go out to you. We are all here supporting you.