View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FireSprite

ITA that there is a big difference between being alone & being lonely. I've been lonely in a room full of people but not at all lonely by myself, in my own home, enjoying my own life.

At first being alone drove me batty - then I started to wonder, did I dislike my own company so much? Did I not find value & comfort in my own thoughts? If *I* wasn't comfortable with myself, how could anyone else be?

A good friend of mine went through a separation around the same time I did but jumped immediately into meeting new people, dating & chatting a lot online with new men. It scared me that she never gave herself time in between relationships to love & know herself. (she'd been married nearly 20 yrs) She bounced around from relationship to relationship never really knowing what she was looking for & failing to find happiness even when she thought she did know.

After a few years of running herself in circles (they had ended up divorced) she finally gave herself a break & pulled back from seeking relationships, spent some honest, quality time with herself & realized how she had short-changed herself by not doing so from the beginning. Once she had greater clarity on who she was, who she wanted to be & what she was looking for in a companion it was much easier for her to meet the right kind of people.