View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Mightyqueen801

My daughter has thanked me more than once for getting her father our of the house when she was eight. She is now 22. That helped alleviate the guilt I had of bringing her up in a "broken home". In addition, her father paid more attention to her after the divorce than he did in the first eight years of her life. He never went to her school events or teacher conferences or even knew basic things about her until AFTER we got divorced.

She has a good relationship with him, and understands what he is and what his limitations are as a human being because of his alcoholism. Sometimes she still gets hurt by his selfishness and lack of ability to see how his behavior affects others, but it is not unexpected and she is able to move forward.

I am 100% certain I did the right thing by getting him out of our home.

This past May she graduated from college. Her father and his significant other (a woman I like), the gf's daughter, my mother, my daughter and her boyfriend all went to dinner afterwards. She later said it was the best dinner she ever had, both foodwise and the people at the table. Her dad gradually got drunk, but it was expected by everyone at the table and there was no conflict about it. She wasn't embarrassed because her boyfriend, a pharmacist, already understood that her father is an alcoholic and is smart enough to know about alcoholism. My ex's girlfriend, at 60, has been in codie relationships before and is well aware that she's in one now but was comfortable knowing that everyone at the table knew that he would get drunk that night and didn't care, and I was happy because the food was great, my daughter was happy, and it was somebody else's job to get the mofo back to the hotel, not mine. He was cheerful and happy as he got drunk because he's cheap as dirt and I'd agreed beforehand to split the tab with him, so it was all good. But the important point is that it was a milestone event for my daughter and it wasn't ruined because everyone involved knew what the score was and the alkie wasn't going to be allowed to mess anything up because of the way WE handled it.