View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
DoubleDragons

From an adult child of an alcoholic's perspective (my husband also is an ACOA), don't think that you, as the non-alcoholic parent, will get a "free pass", if you continue to enable and ignore what the alcoholic is doing to your family. My father-in-law died of his alcoholism at the age of 59. My MIL enabled him through it all, but cried to her children constantly about her "victimhood". Now that we are adults, the kids are scattered all over the world. (5 children) We haven't seen three of my husband's sisters in over a decade. They don't want to see each other because it reminds them of the memories of their childhoods which are too painful. My MIL still acts like those were the "happiest days of her life, raising her kids" but her children do not see it that way at all. None of them are close to her.

My mother has turned into an alcoholic in recent years. In the beginning, I tried to show a lot of love and support to my Dad, but he has done nothing to help the situation. He talks a good game, but then he enables her and buys her martinis every single night. He does not attend Alanon or show any effort to help himself with this terrible situation. So, I am left with no choice but to completely distance myself and my family from their dysfunctional life. My dad is missing out on a lot of fun activities with his grandchildren because of this. I don't feel sorry for him anymore.

Please know that your kids can't do anything to protect themselves now, but they will protect themselves when they are adults. And if you enabled and forced them to enable a sick, dysfunctional, abusive parent and forced them to stay in a sick dysfunctional situation without any help or ability to help themselves, they will fly far and free and you will lose any hope of a loving relationship with them when they are adults.