View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SparkleKitty

I do think it is risky, and I do think it is soon. But I don't think there's anything unusual or wrong with wanting that connection.

I was alone for three years after my first marriage fell apart. At first it was not by choice. I was looking for someone to fill the voids, too. But it didn't happen, and that was very painful, at the time. Now I see it as a blessing. Because no one swept in to make me feel good about myself...I had to do it myself.

And I did. Because I was forced to spend so my time alone, I got to know and appreciate myself more than I had ever been able to through relationship-hopping. It's made all the difference in the relationships I formed when that time alone came to an end. It was the most empowering thing that could have happened, and I am intensely grateful for it.

Since then I have watched several friends' marriages fall apart, and seen a lot of those halves desperate to connect with someone -- anyone -- new. They said they only wanted some companionship, but in reality they were looking for someone to fill the empty spaces inside them. I really believe the filling of those spaces is an inside job. Two half people don't make a whole; two whole people, however, make something far more than the sum of their parts. I needed to take the time to become whole.

I am sorry you're feeling lonely; I remember it vividly. Sending you hugs, strength, and patience.