View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NikNox

Originally Posted by ResignedToWait View Post
I can't speak on laws in the UK, but in the U.S., a guardian wouldn't really have the right to keep the biological mother from seeing her daughter, unless it was specifically stated by the court (very, very rare)...at the least, the mother would be entitled to supervised visits.

Make sure you wouldn't get in trouble legally by withholding access to her daughter.
In the UK, the law states that contact is the right of the child, not the parent. So if SD wanted to see her, she could, but SD doesn't want to see her until there is scientific/medical proof of sobriety, and as SD is 14 she can make that decision. Unfortunately, mum doesn't grasp this, never has, and when SD told her back in April, after she failed detox, that she didn't want anything to do with her, her mother blamed us and we got the backlash. We told her over and over that it was SD's decision that we would support her decision, but she never got it. The reasons we will be supporting SD in not having physical contact with her mother are many - if mum is still drinking it would affect SD detrimentally, there is no relationship between them to speak of and if mum maintains sobriety then small steps need to be taken to rebuild it, SD has struggled so much with all of this and is very very sceptical of her mother and doesn't believe a word she says. I should have made it clear that this decision is a 'family' decision, rather than my husband and I simply not allowing it, but we are the ones who will need to enforce it.