Old 11-08-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Youbetcha. Try this, BeastTamer. Set aside 30 minutes of your day, in 5 minute chunks, and sit. I don't mean to sit on a chair in front of your tv or computer, but put yourself in a quiet room, and sit in a comfortable but attentive way, cross-legged on the floor on a cushion if you like. Become aware of your breathing, the sensation of cool air coming in through your nose, warmer air leaving as you exhale. Feel the sensations caused by your diaphragm rising and falling, the sensations of your clothing against your skin. When your mind wanders off because a thought of past or future intrudes, allow that thought to sit with you without judging it or becoming hijacked by it. Return your mind's eye back to these feelings of breathing, back to the sensations of your breath. For just 5 minutes. It will feel like you just took a vacation from the roar of all this thinking stuff our brain does all the time.

This practice of mindfulness, done a half dozen times a day, will show you how to become aware of your thoughts without acting on them, and you can use this to become sensitized to the AV. So look for some information about mindfulness. Urge surfing is another term used for this mindful practice.

I must congratulate you, BeastTamer, on your Big Plan. It really is exciting to finally get that you can do this, that you have what it takes to quit. And what a relief to know that the cr@ap of addiction is over and behind you now simply because you say so, dammit. I believe that we can think ourselves into new ways of being too.

Onward!