Thread: Step 8
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
HonestlyTrying

I am working on my 8th step now and find even though this thread is from 2012, it is very pertinent a year later. I have 33 years of harms caused from addiction and it feels somewhat daunting that it will be a long list. However, I have found that most of my freedom and spiritual growth comes WHILE I am working the steps, and if it takes longer, that means I have a lot of growth to look forward to!
If I viewed someone else with the same "list of harms", I would surely cheer that person on, and be encouraging throughout the process of making the list. Sometimes it helps me to view myself from another's eyes in order to be more self supportive. My Higher Power's view of me makes me feels extremely emotional and humbled. Loved yes, and oh so flawed!
As I work this step, I am encouraged that it IS for my benefit that I become willing to make amends, as the second part of step 8. I have done a lot of things from day one of my journey in sobriety that I was scared to do. I have become better for all of them. My large step 8 list is going to heal me so much more, and I am confident increased self-acceptance is in each harm I am willing to correct.
Thanks for this forum, it is great to learn about others experience, strength and hope here!