Old 11-01-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JustAGirl1971

My husband doesn't (yet) have a physical dependence. His is all mental/emotional. In our 26 yrs together, he's quit drinking 4 times. The first time lasted maybe 6 months? I don't remember what made him quit that time. Second time he quit for his health (elevated liver enzymes.) That time lasted a year. Third time he quit because he'd been laid off from his job and he was aware enough to recognize that if he didn't quit, he'd likely end up drowning his sorrows in the bottle. That time lasted a year. This time he quit because I told him he needed to. He hasn't drank in 10 days this time.

In all cases, he started back up with the plan that he would drink moderately. And every time he did drink moderately.... for awhile, usually about a year.

I have no delusions. This time won't work. He doesn't recognize he has a problem. Actually, he even told me and our marriage counselor that he's only doing it temporarily to improve the situation at home and with our son. Even if he DID recognize that it's a problem, it still won't work because he's made it very clear, in no uncertain terms, that he does not need a support group to quit.