Thread: Perfectionism
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
paulokes

I was pretty critical of others for much of my life, because I was afraid of what I'd find if I looked within or let someone else take a peak. I drove myself to illness in many ways because I thought I had to 'be something'. When the facade cracked, I thought I had to hide and the bottom of a bottle is a great place to hide.

When I faced my own devastating weakness with alcohol, things started to soften. Once I faced my own imperfection,somehow it's easier to accept it in others. I've learnt many things since about perfectionism but for some reason that had to be a personal journey.

Ernie Kurtz wrote some interesting stuff about AA - one called 'The Spirituality of Imperfection' and one called 'Not God' (as in 'I don't know if there is a God, but I have to remember that I'm not it )

Interesting thread. Did ya know Bill W said the most important things to do as we advance in recovery were Service and Growing in Humility? Expecting perfection in myself or others...bad roads to go down I find.

P