View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
keithj

Hi Wildog, and welcome back!
It's fairly common for someone returning to get a new sponsor. I don't think it's essential by any means, but a lot of folks are looking for a different experience, or have some awkward feelings or whatever. It's a good question. I think solid sponsorship is very important.

What attracted me when I got sober, was a guy that claimed to have an answer. He talked continuously about having a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps. Actually, it was two guys, and I picked the one that answered the phone first. My point is that none of the other stuff mattered. I really didn't like the guy much (although he did become and remains one of my closest friends today), didn't agree with a lot of what I heard from him, and didn't like his self-righteous attitude and BB thumping. But, it was clear that he knew how to take a hopeless dude like me through the Steps. That was all that mattered at that time.

My current sponsor is much more focused on living the Steps as a way of life and on applying them to current circumstances and life conditions. It's a good fit for today.