Thread: Perfectionism
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

For me, perfectionism is bound up in ego and fears. While others may see it as a "good" shortcoming, it's quite nefarious to me. The idea behind perfectionism is that I hold myself to a lofty ideal, and when I (eventually) don't live up to that ideal, I get angry. I take my ball and go home. It's very ego-centric of me to think that I am better than everyone else and that I should never make mistakes. I never asked for help because I thought that I was different than everyone. I was running on self-reliance. And also lurking behind perfectionism is a whack of fears - fear of looking weak, fear of not being liked, fear of not achieving, fear of looking foolish, etc. Not letting myself off the hook, in the guise of perfectionism, is masochistic and self-centered energy.

I had to see that I am perfectly imperfect. I was meant to be imperfect. I had to embrace that and understand that like every other part of my life, playing God didn't work. Making mistakes is how I grow. If we never made mistakes, what's the point of this all? Growth is my mandate, and the grist for that mill is stumbling and making errors. As long as I am learning and keeping a teachable mind and practising humility, I am on the right path. Perfectionism doesn't enter the picture anymore. Sure, I like to achieve and at work (and other parts of my life) I like to do well. But I will mess up and as long as I see my part in it and do what I need to do, then it's all part of the game plan.