View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
interrupted

My sister is my qualifier, also a heroin addict. There was a time when my mother suggested that my sister come live with me to "get away from" all of the bad influences in her life, she suggested that I could save her. I did not allow my sister to come stay with me. I will no longer sacrifice myself and all of my healthy relationships in an attempt to save someone that isn't interested in being saved. There were many times that I made that sacrifice for her, too many times that I compromised the beautiful life and love that I have with my fiance, and it didn't make any difference, she is still a heroin addict.

We don't have the power to save an addict from their addiction - if we did, addiction wouldn't be such an epidemic. If we had the power to stop addiction not one of us would be here. The fact is that only the addict can save themselves by making a commitment to recovery and then working that recovery as if their life depended on it, because it does. I hold out hope that one day my sister will choose life, I cannot make that choice for her. Neither can my mother.

Nothing changes if nothing changes. Keep posting here, it really does help.