View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

I realize I may be opening myself up to criticism, but in my area it isn't very common for someone to relapse and within 7 - 8 months of returning to be working on the 6th step. NA teaches us that recovery begins with surrender and acceptance of the 1st step...and that relapse is the result of having a reservation in our program. The sponsees that I've had that come to me after a relapse are started at Step 1 because they may have missed something in their previous attempt.

And when it comes to step 6 - it was important for me to realize that there's a major difference between becoming entirely ready to have my character defects removed (willingness) and doing my part to have those defects arrested (action thru constructive behavior). Whether we realize it or not, it is through practicing the spiritual principles of the steps that we ultimately bring about a change in our lives. My HP isn't going to remove anything I'm still using (self-will), so I have a responsibility to think and act constructively...working toward solutions (letting go) instead of knowingly acting on my defects.