View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Aeryn

Originally Posted by LifeRecovery View Post
In studies they have found that it is okay for the therapist to be wrong (they are at least 30-50% of the time.

It is about the relationship that is built between the therapist and the client that the work comes from.

In the training I took it was such a relief to realize my therapist, who I adore is wrong quite a bit.....the growth is not from the wrong/right but from me having enough of a relationship with her to say "I am upset, I don't think so etc."

I had to deal with my past to heal. I realize last week that my whole relatinship that got me to SR was a way for me to deal and heal with my past.

And for me the only way through it was through.
Yes this. Therapy is about the therapeutic relationship and about transference it's not about "advice". Feeling angry at the therapist is more likely transference about something big going on - IMHO leaving therapy due to the feeling is leaving just when things may be starting to happen. Growth is painful and therapy is not easy - for me to get better I had to walk through the pain first.

(BTW - Just a random aside not directed at anyone but I'm growing to hate "advice". LOL)