View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
It was that, "Welp, sorry all that happened. Get over it," response that killed me. Like she was wiping her hands clean. This was the first time she and I have ever said the word "rape" between us. I know that Mom denied anything was going on with me as a teenager, so my family saw all my behavior as suspicious and selfish. The only times it's been discussed between me and mom was for her to ask me if it really happened and then later to ask me if it hurt me when she and dad decided not to address it.
I don't have any experience with issues as serious as rape, but I do have experience with a mother who did hurtful things to me as a child. She has never even admitted to them, much less a cursory "sorry." I have to accept that I will never get acknowledgement of the things that happened because it's just too painful *for her* to admit. I've come to the point where I actually feel pity for her because the burden of guilt she must carry around, and work so hard to keep hidden all the time, has got to be very, very heavy.

I have not cut her out of my life completely, however I live far away and only talk to her on the phone every few months. I see her in person even less seldom--every two or three years--and that's fine with me.

Your "status" as a person, your credibility, your value, is not determined by their opinions. It's actually quite common for the one willing to deal with the "family secrets" to be labeled as the "problem child." Just know that the pushback you are feeling has little to do with you and everything to do with them. You are on the right path for your own healing and if others in your family don't like it, well, THEY will just have to get over it.

L