Thread: Binging
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

I was exactly the same. That was my way of "moderating" if you can believe it. I could only drink on Fridays and Saturdays and boy, wasn't my mission to fit in those two days what I had drank in an entire week previously? I was one big disaster and an embarrassment.

Binge drinking is equally as bad as drinking every day and sometimes worse depending on how much you drink. You're pouring poison into your body and then going through detox and withdrawal when your drinking days are over week after week after week.

I used to think "jeese, I'm not that bad, at least I only drink on Friday and Saturday!". I never knew exactly how sick I was and what I was doing to my body and mind until I quit. I thought that since I ended my drinking Saturday night and spent half the day in bed Sunday that I was recovering. Then, I would still kind of feel like crap Monday but less foggy. As the week progressed I thought that all the effects from alcohol were gone and I started over again on Friday.

I'll never forget after my third weekend of staying sober what happened. There was this strange focused clarity. Things that used to irritate me at work rolled right off my back. There was a weird sense of peace and contentment. Then I realized, this is my brain, my liver and insides, and my central nervous system beginning to heal. It was quite the feeling. Did I still feel like crap occasionally? On and off, sure, getting sober is a process.

However, if I had realized what feeling good is really like I would have done this looooooooong ago. I had no idea what I was putting my body through and how I never healed from the binges. I just thought I did because the hangover had dwindled.

I'm so thankful that it's over.