View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
needingabreak

Unhappy Overwhelmed but still thankful

HI All,
I first want to say I am so humbled by what I read here and see how many of you handle situations in your life. You are so much stronger than you know. Amazed by the amount of good people here who reach out to others even though going through so much of their own issues. Simply awesome.
My son hit 90 days sober and for that I am so grateful. Although I worry every time he walks out the door, I see positive changes in him. He hangs around only one friend who is sober, he is with a new girlfriend (although ex from before) who is so wonderful and supportive. So, while I have much to be thankful for, I am also feeling extremely overwhelmed and stressed.
I started working at a job I left 13 years ago. I have been training the last three days because of all new technology and other things that have changed. I have another job as well so will be doing this per diem.
My mother, who has Alzheimers and lives in another state with my dad, fell the other day and says she laid on the carpet for over an hour and a half. Not sure if this is true because of her Alzheimers although she has fallen about 5 or 6 times previously. My dad has had to call 911 when he cannot reach his neighbor to help lift her (she mostly uses a wheelchair to get around although she can walk extremely short distances). MY dad was not at home this time. He lets her sleep till at least 1pm and then gets her up to eat and then she wants to sleep again till dinner. He leaves her alone now on weekends for half the day to attend collector's shows (he collects WWII memorabilia). He also felt her Alzheimers medication patch was not working so decided to take her off it for a month! My sister and I, along with my husband, have to fly down on Monday to check on my parents and talk to my dad about getting help in. We do not think he will be open to this at all and are worried about my mom being left alone. We will be away two weeks and worried about my son being at the house alone but I know I cannot control what he does or what choices he makes. He sees his therapist every week and they do a drug test each time. He works 40 hours now. On top of this my best friend's mother who is a sweet lady Ive known many years is in ICU and failing terribly. I worry she will die while we are away and I wont be there for my friend. I know I need to realize I am only capable of doing so much and not responsible for others yet it affects me. I look at what many of you are going through and realize how trivial these things are compared to what so many of you are going through. I know I am blessed. Really trying hard to focus on the positive but tonight I am so tired and feeling very sad about some of things going on in my life. I feel like my life is never without some type of stress. Does everyone else feel this way? Many of you have such wonderfully positive attitudes!