View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CarryOn

Hi Katchie...good for you to make it to your first meeting. It's the hardest one. Are there other meetings in your area that you can try? It took me a few tries to find one where I felt really comfortable, but I still struggle to find people that are truly similar in circumstance (RAH was dry when we met & married, relapsed about two years ago, and now in recovery for 4+ months). RAH was very high functional - I was really the only one that understood the problems, and we did not experience anything near what others at AlAnon or here on SR have experienced...but this is not a competition. Alcohol has effected our lives. End of story.

AlAnon is about you. It is not about your AH or how you can help or change him. They really want to know - how are YOU doing? That can be one of the hardest questions for me to answer truthfully. Generally speaking, the focus in the meetings will not be what brought you there, but how you are moving through your day to day life and the skills needed to help you process what has & is happening to you and how to enjoy your life & who you are more.

And treating yourself to ice cream is nice...it's something you probably enjoy and do not do often. As time goes on, you'll find more & more that you can do to be nice to yourself.