Thread: struggling
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
CaliButterfly

Smile You're not alone

Kudos to you for continuing to try! I, like you, have relapsed after being sober for nearly a year. I was a daily drinker, risked that first drink, and went back to my old habits quicker than anything. BUT, that doesn't mean we can't win. I went to my first AA meeting tonight, and I admitted I had drank last night. But after running down the rabbit hole for the past month and a half, I woke up this morning and said, what the he!! am I doing? Enough is enough. Something I read in an earlier thread - nobody every wakes up in the morning wishing they had gotten drunk the night before. If your wife is willing to be involved with your recovery, go to AlAnon so she can understand why alcoholics relapse, and show her that you will do whatever it takes to stay sober, then she will be much more likely to hang in there during these crucial early steps. But SHOW her, don't just pay lip service. And remember, you are doing this for you first and foremost, nobody else. Because if she throws in the towel and you are doing this for her, you are very likely to relapse again. To get through the next few days.... don't try to bite off more than you can chew. As they say, one day at a time. If it's easier, get through the next hour. Don't think beyond that. Keep reading threads, distract yourself with things you enjoy, and keep yourself in an environment where you have no choice but to stay sober. You can do this...