View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NWGRITS
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by guiab View Post
There is also the idea of establishing Boundaries - firmly setting the limits that I will go to help so as to preserve my own well being. Addiction and alcoholism hurt both the drinker/addict and those around them. Friends and family get pulled into a swirl of broken promises, resentment, fear, and anger. I found that the best approach, as awful as it sounds, is to let the alcoholic know that I love them, but I will not sacrifice my own well-being to prevent them from harming themselves.
In fact, by establishing boundaries, I show sane healthy behavior. This is the one thing that may change the alcoholic - behaving rationally and with self-respect.
A relationship is a function of 2 people, a(me)+b(alcoholic)=c(our relationship); the only way to change the relationship is to change myself.
*nods* We have a saying around here: "Nothing changes if nothing changes." You can't change your father, but you can change yourself and the way you react to him. Setting boundaries and detachment will help you start making your life better.