Thread: Mentoring.
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TMZ

Ann is so very right and worded it as nicely as it could be.
Due to the nature of sharing intimate thoughts and feelings, it is recommended to choose same sex sponsors. There is a trust and bonding that happens, and you don't want it to go the wrong way.

StNick,
You seem so very new to this disease of addiction. I understand the the need and want to help. But first you must help yourself... Before you can be A light for someone in the shadows you first must know yourself, then you must know the program. Have you attended any Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meetings yet? I know there are meetings in your state, start there. Do you know the 12 steps? Have you worked the steps?

Mentoring, or sponsorship; is about sharing your knowledge, understanding, experience, wisdom, and hope.
It's not just giving, it is also receiving. A listener who helps us understand that we have the ability to release resentment, anxiety and the feeling that everyone is against us. this begins the process of releasing the pain.

It is not about the desire to help, or good communication skills.
Because that alone will not help the situation. You have to have something they want, an enlightenment that shows the path your on. They must choose who they are going to go to for guidance, you don't choose them.

So I would start with YOU. Since your AD or surrogate daughter has the disease, you need to go to the rooms where others are dealing with the same things. You need to work a program, work the 12 steps. ...Then think of doing this. ... Find a Nar-Anon or Al-Anon group near you and attend at least 6 meetings. Then see where you truly are with this thought.
I love your enthusiasm it will take you far with the journey you are about to take. Your not going to be able to help everyone, but you will be helping some and that will be progress for us all. It is people like you that will help those recover from the disease of addiction.

Be well,