Thread: Mentoring.
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
StNick

Mentoring.

I have posted before about my niece.........my beautiful 24 year old niece whom is an abuser of both drugs and alcohol. I am sort of her surrogate father for a thousand reasons, but I have shared all of that in the past.

Anyway, this particular thread is in regards to my desire to be a mentor......a positive voice in someones life. I seem to have decent communication skills with girls and would like to help. It seems to me that more often then not, these girls are "set out" with the garbage. Few people in mainstream life want to deal with girls/people like abusers. I was brought up that way myself......very much a hands off approach. "Don't go near those people". "Stay away". I refuse to stay away.......these girls are human beings and damn it to hell, I want to help. I believe, I have faith that they can have a better life and I want to help!

I do not know where to begin? I do not know who to contact? Maybe AA? In the past I have tried speaking to folks at our local county rehab facility, but they are overwhelmed ( no surprise) and you really can't get any feedback.

Anyway, I do not want to ramble on, but if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated!

Thx