View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wisconsin

Well, my ex-husband is not an A, but when we divorced originally we had a 50/50 arrangement that was very common in our state. Monday-Tuesday with one parent, who drives the kids to school on Wednesday morning. Wednesday-Thursday with the other parent, who drives the kids to school on Friday morning. Then alternate the Friday-Sunday weekend.

My brother and his ex-girlfriend started with every Wednesday, with an overnight on alternating Wednesdays for the first 90 days. Then after 90 days, my brother has his son for an overnight every Wednesday. He sees him more often when he can and when his ex-girlfriend is being rational.

And I know many, many divorced dads with the traditional "one night a week, every other weekend" arrangement.

The good news is that most jurisdictions have a lot of flexibility these days, and if you guys can reach an agreement on your own that works for you, the court will almost always OK it.

As for reducing worry, how old are your kids? As I said, my ex isn't an A, but he really REALLY hated me when we split up and for over a year would only communicate with me via certified mail. I finally just bought my older daughter, who was 9 at the time, her own very simple cell phone. That gave my daughters and me peace of mind, because we knew we could reach each other at any time.