View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
longbeachone

Originally Posted by benat View Post
Im 24 and I've been a heavy drinker since I was 17, mostly binge drinking on the weekends. I never thought I had a problem but up until this last year. My face,skin,eye look unhealthy, I feel bloated, and worst of all my mind...I feel like im going crazy. I have tried to quit several times. The longest I went was a month and I felt amazing but then I relapsed. NOW after this summer, I try to quit and I have these wars in my head and it seems like I literally can not quit. My brain and body crave it so badly now that I find it almost impossible to stop. It almost seems like there is some one inside my head trying to find every excuse to drink and most of the time it wins. I went last week to find a councillor to help me, so we will see how that works out. Im just afraid these temptations will never end. I know you half to have willpower but its really hard. I hate drinking, I hate the taste of it..but I cant stop.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so what did you do to help the temptations and these awful cravings? I need HELPPPP!

Alcohol is physically and mentally addictive. Both must be addressed. Once you have managed to physically withdraw from drinking (usually a week to ten days) you will continue to suffer from psychological addiction, and that's where your planning and preparation come in to play. What I mean by this is the methods that you use to help overcome alcoholism. AA Meetings, rehab if you can afford it. There are free live in programs if you can't afford it. SMART, Rational Recovery, Celebrate Recovery...all of these are excellent programs to help you overcome this disease. And it IS a disease, a deadly one that progresses, growing worse and worse over time. If not checked, most alcoholics end up in jail or dead. It sounds scary, but I just hope you will see the seriousness of your situation. You can try to give up drinking on your own, with no help from a program, it can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it...it's called "white knuckling" it, and its very hard. There is awesome help available to you if you reach out for it.

Good luck, stay on SR and post as much as you can.