Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
Specifically, it makes me wonder if dating a fellow alcoholic is a really good or really bad idea. To my mind, at least at this point, I highly doubt I could ever be with someone who drank. Nor would I necessarily want to feel uncomfortable discussing my past with someone who has no experience of alcoholism.
I have the same feelings about this. But, in the past, every relationship I had added to this sort of 'no thanks' tick list of things I couldn't tolerate in a partner. One of the earliest ones was I couldn't date a stoner because of a previous relationship with someone who couldn't function because of the stuff. I went on to develop this long list, most of which I can't even remember now, until I realised it was ridiculous as the list was getting longer and longer and I also dated someone who was perfect on paper but we clashed horrendously in real life. Clearly that way wasn't working so I decided just to ignore that side of things and have fun. Which I did. The only question became whether they could tolerate my drinking, and I have to say I was pretty lucky in that respect... until I got sober. Now I don't want to date drinkers!! So the list has started again... I don't know if in time I will chill out about this or if I am doomed to try and find a recovering alcoholic partner... I must admit the idea of it is appealing but then I noticed I started treating AA meetings like a dating website and I thought I best knock that on the head! So for now I don't trust myself and am ignoring the issue. Maybe we should come back here in a year or so and compare notes x