View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by benat View Post
It almost seems like there is some one inside my head trying to find every excuse to drink and most of the time it wins. I went last week to find a councillor to help me, so we will see how that works out. Im just afraid these temptations will never end.
I think that this two sided struggle is at the root of all addiction. Part of you says no, part of you says yes, and you continue to drink at the expense of life aspects that are important to you.

There is much benefit for some of us to refer to that 'someone in your head' as your Addictive Voice, or your AV. This leads to a powerful way of looking at addiction that allows you to recognize and separate yourself from your AV. Maybe Addictive Voice Recognition Technique will appeal to your way of thinking. You can learn more about it by putting 'rational recovery' into your googler, or by reading in our Secular Connections forum.

Another technique that helps with these urges or cravings is called 'urge surfing', something else worth trying.

At any rate, you have found SR. There is a lot of support for you here.